Show your dad how much you love and appreciate him not with another cheesy gift but with an invitation for a day together outdoors. Father-daughter fishing opens opportunities for conversation, laughs, and memories, and I’m sure he wouldn’t mind the rest of your family tagging along, too.
To find a great spot for this weekend and beyond, try one of the Top 100 Family Friendly Places to Fish and Boat, a nationally voted upon list by fishing and boating enthusiasts. All locations are available to the public, within an hour of a major city, and have good fishing opportunities.
Who Hooked the Top 10 Spots:
1. Lake Berryessa, Napa Valley, CA
2. Bahia Honda State Park, Big Pine Key, FL
3. Skyway Fishing Pier State Park, St. Petersburg, FL
4. Everglades National Park, Homestead, FL
5. Kissimmee State Park, Lake Wales, FL
6. Galveston Island State Park, Galveston, TX
7. Lake Chabot Regional Park, Castro Valley, CA
8. Blue Springs State Park, Orange City, FL
9. Table Rock State Park, Branson, MO
10. Presque Isle State Park, Erie, PA
I personally want to check off every one of these someday!
If you’re like me and have already lost your dad in this world, take a girlfriend! Women are one of the fastest growing demographics to take up fishing. Among the many health benefits of fishing, such as arm strengthening from casting and reeling in fish, it’s also fun just to get fresh air and soak up some sunshine.
But, the top reason to get out with your fishing setup is the fact that nothing beats the thrill of catching a fish! Here’s a quick primer on how to set the hook when you feel a bite.
Recreational Boating & Fishing Foundation (RBFF), a national non-profit, leads the “Take Me Fishing” campaign to generate awareness and excitement for fishing and boating nationwide, and is a resource for experts and newcomers alike with fish species information and how-to videos.